Vermont Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program Update
from Nine East Network Director Susan Kimmerly
NEN recently sent out our Winter 2017 Newsletter with the following updates and announcements:
We are carrying the Vermont Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program forward in 2017 with a clear mission and purpose – to empower children through language development and access to communication.
Building our Capacity
In addition to our full team of consultants, parent advisors, and sign support staff, we have now hired three sign language interpreters to provide child-specific interpretation services in schools as designated.
Hearing Assistive Technology
- We are piloting a rental program that allows schools to pay for classroom HAT equipment over a three- or four-year time period.
- Our program includes services such as selection, ordering, fitting, verification, and troubleshooting, plus loaners, as needed.
- Please contact Susan Kimmerly if you want to explore this service for your school this spring or next school year.
Updates to our Website
- We have added a new Info for Schools Page with helpful references for educators working with deaf and hard of hearing students.
- On our blog, you will find news updates, articles from our staff, and reports on the Vermont Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and DeafBlind Advisory Council.
- We continue to update our Deaf and Hard of Hearing Events Calendar. Please let us know about any events coming up in your area (email us at [email protected]).
Adventure Day 2017 is coming on May 19th
We are happy to once again sponsor this fun, outdoor event for deaf and hard of hearing students at Lotus Lake Camp in Williamstown. Transportation is provided for students from all over Vermont. Check out our blog post to find out more.
Green Mountain Lion’s Club Camp resumes in July
The former Austine Green Mountain Lion’s Club Camp will resume this summer! This is a great program for Deaf and hard of hearing youth and teens. Visit our recent blog post for more details.
Upcoming Learning Opportunities with Nine East Network’s Experts
- Specialized training for Speech Language Pathologists working with deaf and hard of hearing students – Sept. 28, 2017 at the Capitol Plaza, Montpelier, VT
- Community ASL Classes – more information soon!
Finally, we have joined Facebook!
We will be posting more updates in the coming weeks and months. Please visit and follow us on our FB page!